Nowadays people buy tons of electronics, clothes and furniture just because they were on sale and they get impatient to get rid of the purchase shortly after that. Others sell discounted items just because they have completely changed the design of their house and these items no longer match the interior. Whatever the reason is, you should definitely take every offer for second hand stuff with a pinch of salt.
Let’s discuss the advantages and disadvantages of buying second hand furniture, so you can be better prepared if you intend to buy a used couch.
The Disadvantages Of Buying Second Hand Furniture
- Don’t forget to ask the seller whether they have a return policy and whether you get some kind of guarantee that the furniture is actually in a good condition. If they offer none of these, think twice before you make the purchase.
- Transportation costs are yet another issue you have to handle. If you buy your furniture brand new, you will most likely get a free delivery. However, most second hand shops do not offer such an option and the owners usually state in the ad that the buyer is responsible for item’s transportation. If you don’t have a suitable spacious vehicle, you have to arrange man and van services, which can be pretty expensive.
- In most cases, buying a second hand furniture means you will have to commit some time to repairs, cleaning and maintenance. The first thing you have to do is to make an evaluation of the condition of the item and make a list of tools and parts you will need for your repairing project.
- When you fix the damages, the next step is making the piece of furniture presentable. For the purpose, it has to undergo a thorough cleaning. Depending on the material it is made of, you can use a variety of cleaning solutions – from the garden hose to a mixture of turpentine and vinegar – just be careful as acidic substances can ruin the good looks of wood.
- If the colour is not an exact match of the rest of the furniture, go ahead and repaint it. You can do it on your own but it is necessary to book painting services if you have to deal with an extremely precious item that has a lot of ornaments that require precision during painting – if you have found an appealing door better call the professionals to take care of it. Consider using chalk paint. It is a specialised paint that allows you to make furniture look as good as new.
- The search for the ideal piece of furniture is probably the biggest drawback to purchasing used items, while in the stores you can choose between a great variety of colours and sizes. You might need a couple of months to find the perfect fit for your living room or bedroom and you should not miss a day without checking the new ads posted in social networks groups or sites of your local community.
Before you make your final decision whether to buy new or used furniture, set your clear objectives. Are you looking for furnishing the place inexpensively or you intend to make a home out of it and feel cosy and comfortable or both? Once you have an idea how you want your home to look like, you will be able to decide whether to hit the yard sales or go directly to a furniture store.
Credited to Curious About Everything